[sldev] Issues with TextureBuffer size

Nicholaz Beresford nicholaz at blueflash.cc
Sat May 19 15:24:38 PDT 2007

Jason,
> I've seen sporadic reports of people with 256 meg machines not able to
> stay in world too long before the process grows to the point where it
> is using all ram then crashes.  I've always thought that had to do
> with the texture cache.
> How well does your patch do on 256 MB?
It depends on their graphics board settings.  But this one should limit
the texture buffer size to 64MB (which may be a bit on the high side for
a 256MB computer, my patch also has a lower limit for texture memory to
improve visual performance), but with those 256MB machines probably
VWR-264 (the memory leak) is far worse, unless they had a 84MB/128MB
video card installed.

Or in a nutshell for 256MB memory:
- if they have graphics board set to 16/32 MB the patch will use more
memory for the texture buffer
- if they have graphics set to 64 or above the patch will use less memory

But it's a good question ... I'll address that in the next version of
the patch ... really didn't think that anyone would run this beast on 256MB

But memory leak problems are probably the worse cause of crashes in both
cases

Markus