[sldev] [VWR] Artwork licence

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Nov 22 23:52:57 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 15:01 +0000, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> The current artwork (excluding the trademarks) is licensed under the
> "Creative Commons license Attribution-Share
> Alike 2.5"  There are some small issues with this license to do with
> compatibility which may even cause an issue for anyone currently
> distributing there own build of viewers. As the code you are
> distributing is not only under the GPL but also the CC SA 2.5 which
> are not fully compatible. I am not a licensing expert but i know CC SA
> 2.5 is regarded by Debian as "non-free"

For what its worth, Fedora doesn't seem to have any problem with CC SA
2.5 that I can tell. But then it really doesn't mention versions at all
and just links to 3.0:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#head-1a4233369331c74272de8e48132a0b16b63e61d8

Hmmm.

> The licensing page is not 100% clear on this. For instance are we
> allowed to use the secondlife hand logo and the name "secondlife" in
> the Debian package. We are essentially using the source code as
> distributed + patches to make it work or keep it running + may be
> patches to make things better, as various people already do in there
> homebrew viewers.

... But yeah I'm not 100% clear on the trademark situation. I'm just
pushing ahead until someone screams. I know spot, the Fedora "licensing
czar", is aware of the effort to get slviewer and actually did some
early packaging, so I'm kinda hoping he's taken a look at it already. :)