[sldev] Sculpties: Vacuum-Forming, Skittering, Zone Linking

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Oct 9 00:24:09 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 02:06 -0400, Jason Giglio wrote:
> Dale Mahalko wrote:
> > I don't know what the heck to even call this since nothing like it
> > apparantly exists. Outline meshes? :-)
> >

> NURBS sounds like what you are talking about.  Rendering them in
> realtime is potentially difficult.

From what my friend tells me (Who's in school for Maya) NURBS can be
tricky to deal with, just from a modeler's point of view. Maya seems to
be all about the NURBS, though. (I've never really used Maya. I've used
Lightwave quite a bit in the past though, starting with Video Toaster
4000 up to LW7 :) Subpatch modeling like Lightwave does seems simpler
and much more intuitive. I even found an LGPL implementation, though it
seems its in C#:

http://www.kevs3d.co.uk/k3d2.html

There's even an example of how subpatch can support LOD.

You can get some nice smooth models with relatively few actual polygons.
Just a control mesh and a weight per vertex:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/car/index22.html
http://www.chrisevans3d.com/tutorials/weights.htm
http://www.the123d.com/tutorial/lightwave4/form-down01.shtml

(Lightwave 9 apparently has some new Subdivision thing that I'm not at
all clear how it differs from Subpatches...)