[sldev] Packaging the viewer for Linux distributions

Alissa Sabre alissa_sabre at yahoo.co.jp
Wed Oct 10 02:12:35 PDT 2007

Thank you, Matthew, for sharing your activity with the community.

> Regarding a patching updater

> The main
> challenge is producing a system that works on all three platforms in
> a pleasing way for the user, and plays nicely with our versioning
> process.

Sounds good, but I want to make several comments:

- There are several community build viewers today, and they are
  supposed to be growing.  I hope the new patch updator does not
  interfere them.  I'm not saying you must support community builds
  in your updator, but it should not make using community build
  unpractical.  Of course it's nice if the new updator is easily
  adaptable to non official viewers.

- Supporting the official three platforms (MacOS, 32 bit Windows, and
  i686 Linux) is fine.  Please don't forget, however, that there are
  more platforms, e.g., x64 Windows, PPC Linux, or SPARC Solaris.

- We've told that LL runs "Skinning Project" internally, and it will
  support drop-in replacement of look-and-feel or UI language through
  user-supplied XML files.  I hope the patch updator does not break
  those custom skin users, too.