[sldev] Maya PLE (Was: Physics Modularity)

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 06:49:46 PDT 2007

On 29-Oct-2007, at 07:41, Barney Boomslang wrote:
> Oh, or hey, how about this innovative idea: lets just provide links to
> Wings3D and Blender, who allready have sculpty plugins, too, and are
> multi-platform, too, and so people can do sculpties for free? ;)

I've used Wings3d and I've tried to use Blender.

Blender's user interface was, near as I can tell, designed by someone
who actively hated the people who were going to use the program and
wanted to cause them pain and suffering. It makes the early versions
of the Gimp look like a miracle of user interface design by comparison.

I'm not kidding about the pain, either. It made my RSI flare up.

Wings3d is much easier to use, but it's missing some really
fundamental functionality. I've done about half my sculpty working in
it, and the rest I've done by writing programs to generate sculpt
maps directly, because it was easier to write a couple hundred lines
of code than fake a "bend" operation in Wings.

I don't care about Maya, specifically, there are plenty of
professional 3d programs that would work as well. I was responding to
a previous message that mentioned that there had been a free subset
of Maya released for another game, and so they might be interested in
doing a similar deal for another game.