[sldev] [META] Steam Hardware survey

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon Sep 10 09:13:42 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 11:05 -0400, Corax wrote:
> One thing about my system, I notice even the slightest improvement made!

A pet peeve of mine. The programmers being paid, are paid well enough
that they can buy the latest, shiny-est hardware and/or are provided
with it. So they happily write volumes of code on their shiny hardware,
and never test it on anything the average non-programmer has. (Or a not
well paid programmer ;P) And it inevitably runs like crap.

I've made a point of, at the very least, testing every OpenJPEG patch I
make on both my fastest machine, a "mere" Athlon 64 3000+, and a fairly
low end machine, at least by SL standards, my mobile Celeron 1.3. (P3
based) If it hurts performance on the Celeron, its no good.

A tiny change to the way memory is accessed can make a huge difference
on a Celeron, which have tiny caches by definition, but won't make a
lick of difference on an Athlon, known for their ample L1 caches.
Murphy's law being what it is, a programmer not carefully testing on a
Celeron will inevitably write code that thrashes the cache horribly,
eats up gigs of ram, and they will never notice it on their 8gb Quad
Extreme Athlon X2 Core 2 Trio whatever-the-hell.