[sldev] Permissions

SL - Farallon Greyskin sl at phoca.com
Wed Sep 12 13:38:31 PDT 2007

It's entirely possible for vendors to sell things mod/transfer and several
do. Furniture makers for example frequently do.

There is a problem with that though. Both through bugs in SL and through
fumbled fingers of the owner, mod objects can get destroyed when modding
them. If the object was no copy, This creates a situation where the vender
is CONSTANTLY fielding complaints from customers for new replacements.

Thus the mod/copy/no trans permission set is commonly used. It allows users
to make multiple copies and be able to retrieve originals if something
breaks. Also, if you want a person to be able to use multiples of an object
like a plant or chair for their own use then you set the object copy, but if
it was copy/trans then you will have just completely given away the object
and it will end up in the freebie bins and for sale by other people. So if
you want to give copy permission then you have to block transfer unless your
goal was to give something away free to the entire grid (Which of course a
lot of people do)

Except for poor permission interaction in linked and contained objects and
bugs in the permission system which still exist today, the idea of the
mod/copy/transfer permission set are good and transfer should definitely not
be removed.

If there are any changes to the permission system (other than fixes for
current brokenness like mod/copy objects going no mod when they are taken
from world when they contain a no mod script) it would be nice to be able to
do things like set an object for sale /permanently/ rather than just for one
generation, and possibly allow a temp transfer so that everything could be
set to "gift" and then the owner could give it away and people could regift
etc until someone "claimed" it...

Farallon