[sldev] [VIEWER] 64 bit status and open source components

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Sep 14 10:48:37 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 13:08 +0100, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Sorry if this is documented some where, if so then please just send me there :-)
>
> Whats the current code base staus wrt 64 bit systems. Is it capable of
> being compiled for an Athlon 64 (specifically on linux in this
> instance)? and what about the libs as well, as i will of cause need
> 64bit libs as well. I don't mind loosing fmod as it dosn't work too
> well for me at the best of times.
>
> Whist i remember, i saw a while ago a message saying the viewer had
> been compiled completely with open source components including all the
> gstreamer stuff. All i remember was that this is done internally by
> the Lindens but i have not seen anything else about this since.

I have been RPM packaging slviewer ever since the initial source
release, for i386 and x86_64, using only system libraries and no closed
source. It works just fine. I have personally put a lot of time and
effort into speeding up OpenJPEG, and I wrote a patch to use OpenAL for
audio. (Which needs to get submitted, bleh.)

Well, except post-1.18.0.6 has severe performance issues that seem to
hit x86_64 particularly hard, which DOES seem to be VBO related, the
limited heap profiles I was able to get did show an awful lot of ram
being allocated by Mesa for vertexes. I think this might be the same
bug:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-2303