[sldev] Re: [ARCH] Render unto Caesar...

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 14:32:38 PDT 2007

From: Mike Monkowski <monkowsk at watson.ibm.com>
> For the scene polygon count, I assume you mean the added polygons for
> the avatars.  This could be handled with lower LOD for more distant
> avatars.

This has already been fiddled with and the results were horrible.

> Script load and physics load (except for collision detection)
> shouldn't
> depend on the number of avatars, just the number of objects.

The number of physical objects.

Avatars require more work from the physics engine than just about any
common physical objects, except perhaps for dynamic physical machines
like physical windchimes... and back when the avatar limit was a hard
"40" you could bring a sim to its knees with more than a handful of
physical windchimes. These kinds of toys are less common now that
joints don't work, and sims are faster, but 100 physical and
dynamically controlled objects (avatars or not) in a sim is still a
pretty substantial load.