[sldev] 1.18.2.1 source code

Joshua Bell josh at lindenlab.com
Tue Sep 25 09:47:01 PDT 2007

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 13:51 -0700, Joshua Bell wrote:
>
>> Part of the point of the RC process is to avoid introducing new bugs.
>>

> What I'd like to see from the "RC" process, is a feature freeze. Whats
> in stays in, whats out stays out. Bugfix only.

Exactly.

(Well, not just feature freeze - bugfix freeze too apart from newly
introduced regressions. There's no distinction from the code perspective
- any bugfix is as likely to destabilize the code as a feature change of
the same magnitude. We have a ton of additional bug fixes waiting in the
wings - see the "release" code drops - but pulling them into the RC
would destabilize it tool.)

The down side is a potentially vicious circle: If it consistently takes
a long time to stabilize a release, the number of pending changes
waiting for the next release piles up. And the more changes that go into
a release, the longer it'll take to stabilize. Which can lead to a
temptation to take shortcuts around the process.

(I suspect that this is mitigated in either a smaller development team
or in the classic boxed-software waterfall development cycle - during
the stabilization phase, everyone is doing nothing but stabilization. In
our case, the incoming bug rate is low enough that most developers are
unblocked and continuing to work on other bugfix work or features. As
the user base increases this may change.)

Any help we can get in triaging and fixing bugs identified during the RC
process will go a LONG way to maintaining the process and the stability
of the codebase, by showing the value of the process in consistent
quality and more predictable dates.