[sldev] New Scripting Functions

Dale Glass dale at daleglass.net
Fri Sep 28 07:40:05 PDT 2007

On Friday 28 September 2007 00:29:01 Iridium Linden wrote:
> Before we slate these three functions as goals, I would like to obtain
> feedback from:
> 1) You-SL Views group. If there is disagreement on privileging #s1-3
> scripting functions, then let's put our heads together now and decide on
> a top five instead of a top three. Once we decide on a top five, I'd
> like to solicit feedback from ...
> 2) SLDevs (open source contributors). SLDevs represent yet another body
> of knowledge that we can draw from. So I say let's ping 'em! Given how
> knowledgeable this group is, I don't think there will be much
> disagreement.
Of those, I'm particularly interested in:
llRequestAgentKey
llGetAvatarKeysOn[Parcel|Region]
llReturnObject
llGiveMoney return value.
Extensible attributes

in that order.

On llRequestAgentKey I'm not sure what "blocking dataserver = error
detection" exactly means, but error detection is a must for that as well
as any other dataserver functions -- there must be a clear difference
between a request failing because what's being requested doesn't exist,
and the asset server failing to respond.

Suggestion for llGiveMoney: add also a llGetBalance function. This would
make it possible for scripts to notify the owner that the balance is
getting low, and to disable themselves when the amount of available money
is too low for normal operation. This could be especially useful for
scripts operated on accounts made for the purpose, and which aren't used
by a person.