[sldev] A forum

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 23:28:11 PDT 2008

Paul Cook wrote:
> A new topic.
>
> I find myself wondering why this mailing list exists. It contains a lot
> of useful information and helpful people, but I mean, why does it exist
> as a mailing list?

This is the stuff of flame wars ;-) some people just prefer mailing
lists and find them easier to deal with. I am one of those people.

> It's not exactly optimal to have to read through discussions you're not
> interested in, in a linear monolithic manner. It also has the problem of
> spamming up my inbox, even when in digest mode. And aside from that, we
> get random ads from microsoft in our mails from hotmail adresses.

I use thunderbird on my linux and windows boxes and it is perfectly
capable of threading the message display so its very clear what the
topic thread is. Only issue is if someone replies and changes the topic
then it ends up out of thread. I get mails from some 10+ high volume
lists, they all go into there own folders away from inbox and are all
nicely threaded for me to see.

> Given that the official SL forums are being overhauled, I'd like to
> suggest that this mailing list would work better as a subforum within
> the LL forums, perhaps.

I would polity request not to do this.

> The forum/bulletin board structure has a lot of advantages over a single
> monolithic list like this, making it easy to keep up with particular
> topics and ignore those one isn't interested in, and not have a crammed
> full inbox every day.

Mail filters and threaded display in your mail client?

Robin