[sldev] A forum

Opensource Obscure open at autistici.org
Wed Apr 23 07:48:30 PDT 2008

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 06:08:31 -0700, Tony <anthonyrbundy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree that this can become a pretty heated issue pretty quickly.

I don't think that our discussion about it would change anything, though.

By the way, a couple of other advantages of mailing
lists against (LL) forums:
- everybody can read this mailing list (LL forums are restricted
to pre-August-2006-users and users with Payment Info on File)
- discussions can be found using web search engines
- you can set filters so that messages coming from known trolls
or people you can't stand (or even boring threads) get automatically
deleted

> Personally, I would prefer the forums with notifications of some sort
> because I'd prefer not to store all the messages locally. Thunderbird
> now pauses for a moment before opening my SLDEV folder, even though I
> limit it to the last 60 days.

Sorry for going offtopic and saying something you (probably)
already know, however .. if you use Thunderbird, compact
your folders - or your 'deleted' messages won't never really
get deleted from your hard disk (so that those pauses in the
application will persist and will keep growing):
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

Opensource Obscure
http://friendfeed.com/oobscure