[sldev] A forum

Tony anthonyrbundy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 16:46:37 PDT 2008

Opensource Obscure wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 06:08:31 -0700, Tony <anthonyrbundy at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I agree that this can become a pretty heated issue pretty quickly.
>>

> I don't think that our discussion about it would change anything, though.
>

> By the way, a couple of other advantages of mailing
>
> lists against (LL) forums:
>
> - everybody can read this mailing list (LL forums are restricted
>
> to pre-August-2006-users and users with Payment Info on File)

A forum could be used that doesn't have this requirement. Many forums
don't require logging in to read.
> - discussions can be found using web search engines

Forums can be searched to (maybe not the current LL ones, but that
doesn't mean the best answer is to use the existing forums
> - you can set filters so that messages coming from known trolls
> or people you can't stand (or even boring threads) get automatically
>
> deleted

I believe this can be done for forums and other formats. I know of a
greasemonkey script used to block someone's JIRA comments that were
becoming distracting.

>> Personally, I would prefer the forums with notifications of some sort
>>

>> because I'd prefer not to store all the messages locally. Thunderbird
>>

>> now pauses for a moment before opening my SLDEV folder, even though I
>>

>> limit it to the last 60 days.
>>

> Sorry for going offtopic and saying something you (probably)
>
> already know, however .. if you use Thunderbird, compact
>
> your folders - or your 'deleted' messages won't never really
>
> get deleted from your hard disk (so that those pauses in the
>
> application will persist and will keep growing):
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

Thank you for this tip, I didn't know this.

> Opensource Obscure
>
> http://friendfeed.com/oobscure

Mostly my point was that I think that maybe there is a way to get the
things that everyone likes about both options in a single package. For
instance, this topic has come up many times before, and the initial
poster could have continued or may have seen the previous thread (or
this thread could be merged into an existing thread) if we weren't
limited to the current method. I was not suggesting that the list go
back to the LL current forum. If everyone's experience is improved, and
productivity would be better, why not try a new option.