[sldev] A forum

Felix Duesenburg kfa at gmx.net
Wed Apr 23 23:30:46 PDT 2008

There certainly are pros and cons for both list and forum, but I'd also
agree that the mailing list format has more advantages than
disadvantages in this case. Searching for things is really a lot easier
that way. Mostly I don't even use the threaded view (takes slightly
longer to display), I just use the ad hoc filter ('Subject or Sender
contains...'). I also archive my messages in one subfolder per month to
keep file size manageable. Thunderbird (or SeaMonkey which I use) offers
compression as well. And replies are faster because you get it shoved
into your face and must make a decision to dismiss or write back, but I
can see that this appears to be a stress factor for some.

But one thing that would speak for keeping a forum, too, or possibly a
separate list: Where do you ask for help with fundamental things, those
really noobish questions? Apart from support with getting the thing to
compile, sldev doesn't appear to be the proper place for this. Of course
there are plenty of public forums not tied to this project where you
could ask for help e.g. when hassling with getting a call-by-reference
right that keeps giving errors... stuff that happens when you've been
with other OO languages for too long ;). Should we have a place within
the SL community for that or does the majority feel it would be redundant?

Felix