[sldev] Scalable Sim Question

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 14:23:50 PDT 2008

On 2008-08-10, at 14:44, Lawson English wrote:
> Agent Domains have to be trusted as well. If you use their Agent
> Domain, your client isn't trusted any more than grid.piratebay.org
> is. So the LL asset server will treat your avatar as untrusted even
> though you're a registered user.

A registered user of what? This has nothing to do with being a
registered user or not. Agent domains need to by default NOT be
trusted: if I logged in to grid.piratebay.org, I'm a registered user
of piratebay.org. Not of Second Life. That's a completely separate
issue from  my ability to have non-volatile inventory on the SL grid.

>> There's several possibilities:
>>
>> 1. Yes, it's now on an asset server in the pirate bay. The copybot
>> ruckus will be nothing to this.
>>
>> 2. You can't do that, you can't take that into your inventory.
>> that's the current situation.
>>
>> 3. No, it stays in the SL asset server but the pirate bay agent
>> domain can get a copy of it, but promises not to give you access
>> to it if you're not on the SL grid. This seems to be what you're
>> suggesting, and from the point of view of content creators it's
>> indistinguishable from #1.
>>
>> 4. It stays in the SL asset server and your client connects
>> directly to that server to manipulate it, and that access is only
>> allowed if you're in the SL grid subject to the SL rules. That's
>> what I'm suggesting.
>>
>> The distinction between 3 and 4 is that SL doesn't have to trust
>> the pirate bay grid to let you teleport into the SL grid from
>> there. You could have a client that does all kinds of bad things,
>> but you don't have the pirate bay grid effectively becoming that
>> client for everyone who happens to be logged into it.

>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLDev
>> Please read the policies before posting to keep unmoderated
>> posting privileges

Peter da Silva
peter at taronga.com