[sldev] Scalable Sim Question

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sun Aug 10 16:13:47 PDT 2008

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> On 2008-08-10, at 14:44, Lawson English wrote:
>> Agent Domains have to be trusted as well. If you use their Agent
>> Domain, your client isn't trusted any more than grid.piratebay.org
>> is. So the LL asset server will treat your avatar as untrusted even
>> though you're a registered user.
>
> A registered user of what? This has nothing to do with being a
> registered user or not. Agent domains need to by default NOT be
> trusted: if I logged in to grid.piratebay.org, I'm a registered user
> of piratebay.org. Not of Second Life. That's a completely separate
> issue from  my ability to have non-volatile inventory on the SL grid.

Well, yes, but your avatar is already registered with SL and no doubt
would already be registered via the SL Agent Domain once the metaverse
goes live. If you then chose to login via piratebay.org, the fact that
your avatar is already registered with SL is trumped by the fact that
you're using piratebay.org as your intermediary with the SL grid. The
Agent Domain sets up your interface with the grid. Your avatar doesn't
get to talk to the grid until after the Agent Domain does so it inherits
the trustworthiness of the AD you are using, which replaces the implicit
trustworthiness of using the SL AD to get into the SL Grid.

What I expect the SL Grid and associated asset servers to do is treat
you as a guest with authorization to use a certain name, if that.
Certainly no assets should be made available to you beyond those allowed
off-SL to the piratebay.org grid because once you start using the
piratebay grid as your proxy, there's no guarantee that you are who you
say you are. Pirate bay may have created a man in the middle scenario
where all assets  are being copied into the piratebay asset server
before getting passed on to you. By default all grids and all Agent
Domains are non-trusted, but some can obtain higher trust the same way
grids/regions can via certification and the like.

Lawson