[sldev] GPL issues....

Marine Kelley marinekelley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 00:37:27 PDT 2008

In an ideal world, an open-source dev releases their binaries AND the EXACT
source code and makefiles to reproduce the EXACT same binary. Why ? Just so
the end-user can check that the binaries they downloaded are exactly what is
advertised with an MD5 hash or some other signature. It is all too easy to
distribute flawed binaries (with a little keylogger here, a short dial home
there) and clean source code along with it. Most people tend to think that
"this is ok" to download a binary if the provided source code seems clean,
but it's like agreeing to buy a house just from the pictures.

Unfortunately this is not possible with the SL viewer. Far too clumsy,
maintaining a custom viewer over different SL versions is already quite
tedious. Some parts of the SL viewer are not even open-source, and a full
viewer compressed is 60Mb compared to just 6Mb for just a compressed exe
(which is only what the user needs). So try to enforce that and the number
of custom viewers around will be dramatically reduced. Only companies would
be able to maintain that, and to me it's the contrary of the goal of
open-sourcing a product.

Marine