[sldev] GPL issues....

Michael Schlenker schlenk at uni-oldenburg.de
Sun Aug 17 04:56:06 PDT 2008

Robin Cornelius schrieb:
> Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>> On 2008-08-15, at 16:39, Michael Schlenker wrote:
>
>>> But in this case you mostly annoy people with it for no reason other than
>>> GPL fanatism, for a project thats dual licensed anyway. Whats next?
>>> Should
>>> all patches posted to JIRA be declared GPL only to force Linden labs
>>> to fork
>>> the commercial and GPL trees?
>> That wouldn't be an issue, LL doesn't accept patches if you don't assign
>> copyright to them.
>
> In fact by posting patches to JIRA you are bound my the contribution
> agreement :-
>
> At the top of the JIRA banner :-
>
> "All submissions to this site are governed by Second Life Project
> Contribution Agreement. By submitting patches and other information
> using this site, you acknowledge that you've read, understood, and
> agreed to those terms."

Agreed not an issue in the current situation. More a hypothetical threat
to setup a parallel infrastructure just to force some fork just for the
cause of GPL fanatism.

Probably won't happen even if some people might like because it doesn't
really work when you control only one side of the protocol and do not
have a GPL'ed server.

As my stuff gets a BSD/MIT license mostly i don't care anyway.

Michael