[sldev] GPL issues....

Marine Kelley marinekelley at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 11:36:26 PDT 2008

> Sorry to jump backward in the thread, but even the code Linden Lab
> distributes has multiple copyright claims to it, because the contributor
> agreement does not remove the rights of the original author to enforce
> copyright infringement claims.
>
> So you could be sued by anyone that has ever had a patch accepted by
> Linden Lab if you infringe on the copyright by violating the terms of
> the GPL.  I don't think anyone would, but you never know.
>
> -Jason

So it is not ok to just publish a 134Kb patch because it could contain some
proprietary code coming from open-source contributors such as you (I thought
LL had the sole copyright on contributed code), but it is ok to publish the
whole 90Mb source code, including said proprietary code and custom code.
Minus the proprietary libraries. Did I get that right ?