[sldev] Re: [META] How LL can profit from open source

Tim Shephard tshephard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 15:34:08 PDT 2008

I just wanted to bump this, it's been awhile.   I've been doing a lot of
work with Apple stuff lately and this model has been very successful for the
iPhone which is doing precisely what I talk about here.

Admittedly, it's somewhat revenue neutral, but in terms of pushing platform
adoption it has done extremely well.

I think with the virtual currency a lot of money Apple is paying to Credit
Cards, would go to Linden Lab.  It also creates a demand for the currency
itself, which is another area for profit.   Finally, it's a marketplace
which can be built upon GPL / Open Standard software, because what you're
paying for is the credibility of the marketplace itself, not the proprietary
code.

Hopefully the powers that be at LL are paying attention.

Cheers,

Tim.