[sldev] XML files in artwork (Cmake standalone build issues)

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Sat Aug 30 12:49:23 PDT 2008

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the details.  Since each of your points is possibly a
conversation in its own right, I've split out this part:

On 08/30/2008 07:02 AM, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> 1) The Viewer source is HARD depending on the artwork. This never use to
> be the case and is a pain. There are valid reasons (such as packaging
> the viewer for distros) where building with out the artwork is desired.
>
> The only actual dependency are the character/*.xml files which the cmake
> rules for newview append to the file sources. This idealy should be
> optional or at least non-fatal as it undoes some of the work added to
> the unix install target to cope with not having artwork present.
>
> http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-8885

I'm going to guess that this should actually be moved to the source
bundle rather than remain in the artwork bundle, but I need to ask
around about this, and perhaps do a little poking around myself.  In
particular, I'd like to figure out how much these files constitute the
trade dress of the viewer versus the raw mechanics of the viewer.  In
general, the strictly mechanical stuff should be moved to the source,
while the files that are more representative of artistic choices should
go into the artwork bundle.

Rob