[sldev] Metaverse platform gambling 1

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sun Feb 3 12:20:50 PST 2008

Giulio Prisco wrote:
> Hi Dale,
>
> yes I mean "groupware tools, web browsing, webcam feeds and
> collaborative editing of documents in popular office formats".
> (spatial VoIP is already in SL thanks God). Plus other features like
> full Flash support and integration with the main social nets.
>
> I, or you, cannot offer to implement these things ourselves because
> server-side SL is a closed proprietary system. Some of these features
> could conceivably be integrated client-side, but a real implementation
> would require grid support.
>
> Also, I would hardly spend time to develop software when _only_ others
> would benefit financially. I would be interested in contributing real
> effort to SL development if I could install my own SL server and sell
> premium services based on it, but the option is not available. So I
> can only say that some features would be cool, and encourage LL to
> develop them.
>
> I look fwd to contributing to OpenSim, and to SL when (if)  the server
> side will be opensourced.
>
> G.
Er, OpenSim is a opensource 3rd party implementation of the SL
protocols. As such, it IS part of Second Life or soon will be, according
to LL's own roadmap.

And OpenSim, like Croquet, has its own issues: they use non-open or
non-standard languages. This limits them in various ways, including
scalability (whats the largest Croquet or OpenSim"grid" out there?) and
accessibility (how many mono/.net implementations are fast enough/robust
enough/open enough to be used as a WAN grid, letalone an internet
grid?). And while its certainly true that Linden Lab needs to become
more open in its process of exposing its protocols, there are venues for
working on that besides SLDEV.

AWG/AW Groupies, for example.

Lawson