[sldev] Inventory Predicament

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Sat Feb 9 06:05:35 PST 2008

Brandon Lockaby schrieb:
> Inventory Predicament
> [...]
=-O

> So my question is, how did this happen? :D
One possibility (though probably the most unlikely one) would be an UUID
collision. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID#Random_UUID_probability_of_duplicates.

> Can we fix the bug in the viewer that made this SUCH a problem?
That can probably not be answered before its cause is found. Which might
be impossible to find without a repro of the bug. But even if this
individual bug has been fixed, more with similar consequences will
remain (or newly be introduced), so I'd wish the conceptual bug here
being fixed by e.g. implementing WEB-302
<http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-302>. In my opinion, it would be
all right that LL doesn't (always) fix free accounts, if they gave the
account holders the power and tools to fix them themselves.

It would reduce the alt accounts just created because the original
account got unusable. I don't know what the cost of maintaining an
additional account is versus giving web access to the fix scripts, but I
guess such a one time effort (per fix script) could pay off quite quick
for issues that affect enough residents.

cheers
Boroondas