[sldev] Improving rendering sequence

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 05:11:43 PST 2008

Qian Hao ~ wrote:
> I am looking into improving the performance of second life through
> changing the order of the rendering. The problem I notice is that
> sometimes it renders object that are occluded. For example, I saw an
> object being rendered and the next moment a wall was rendered in front
> of me and block off the object. In this case, isn't it better to render
> the wall first and render whatever behind it later?

When occlusion culling was first introduced, it was very aggressive and
culled all hidden objects.  This caused very visible artifacts at the
time.  I think it was tweaked to be less aggressive about culling since
then, for a smoother visual experience.

Something to keep in mind when messing in that code.  I don't want to
discourage you, I'm sure there's still room for improvement, I wouldn't
expect any huge windfalls though.

-Jason