[sldev] Viewer Auth Postponed

Joshua Bell josh at lindenlab.com
Fri Jan 11 09:53:52 PST 2008

Obviously this decision has a substantial impact on both the code base
(various branches/trunk) and the schedule (1.18.x, 1.19.x, etc). We're
going to be meeting today to hash out answers to those. I'll provide
details as soon as there are any to share.

("Why is it complicated?" - the integration of the viewer auth work into
the viewer code base was a substantial project, and several other
projects have merged into the code trunk since then, followed by many
iterations for bug fixes. Putting the old login code back in is a
non-trivial amount of work itself, and will require its own integration
testing with the other features.)

Question for the SLDEV community: is there any interest in an interim
code drop (of either of the 1.18.6 branch or the 1.19.0 branch) even if
those do NOT represent either the direction of the code (i.e. they'll
still have the viewer auth code) or what we intend to release? Or should
we instead wait and focus our efforts on getting a more representative
code drop, even though that may take some time?