[sldev] Machinima and recording movies/demos in SL

Paul Oppenheim (Poppy Linden) poppy at lindenlab.com
Fri Jan 18 13:27:53 PST 2008

Kiwi Alfa wrote:
> As Second Life uses a client/server architecture, I propose to create
> a recording facility that would capture events sent by the server and
> store them in a potentially redistributable archive, which could also

What everyone says is mostly correct, but there's one more thing about those crazy messages: RequestID. It's essentially packet ordering. So you would have to be able to receive a canned message in the viewer and not throw it out. However, there might be bunk messages in your recorded session, so you have to be careful to mark that, along with a *very* accurate timestamp on each message, and change the message system to react differently when in "playback" mode. Then you just need some kind of http proxy to act like the asset store / other http services, and disable message system sending (although it's gonna be hard to get http responses without sending the appropriate get()...). There are probably all kinds of other small issues, but I wouldn't say this is insurmountable.

I'm gonna wager you'll see some *wicked* crashes when doing this, but it sounds like you've got a good use case. This would enable you to do things that you cannot do with an external recording app, or likely even a GL "recorder" (as a lot of stuff happens out-of-scene).

+ poppy