OpenGL toolkits (Re: [sldev] Qt for the viewer)

Jordi Polo mumismo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 20:30:06 PDT 2008

IMHO, Qt is more than an OpenGL toolkit. It is almost accidentally also able
to render widgets on OpenGL.
I see the following interesting features on Qt:

- Running on win, mac, linux (I guess other options also achieve this)
-  Styles engine (at least libufo should be able to do this)
- Integrated HTML rendering engine webkit (I guess ligufo has Gecko)
- Model/ view programming for widgets
- Containers (ala libstdc++), classes to access the filesystem, sockets,
etc.
- Multithread and parallel programming helper classes
- XML and Phonon modules that may be used instead of other current
dependences
- Big community (KDE, thats it)
- In development for a number of years now, Ive been said it is pretty
optimized.

Qt can substitute (in the code, Qt itself may depend on those libraries) :
- Apache portable runtime  (sockets and networking classes)
- Glib
- GTK+
- Multimedia related libraries (Phonon) I am not very sure how powerful is
Phonon though, never used it. It may not be enough for viewers needs.
- Freetype? (not sure)
- SDL
- mozlib (when the embedded webkit is ready)

Qt would provide one API, signals between components and easy threading for
all these.

--
Jordi Polo Carres
NLP laboratory - NAIST