[sldev] screen space ambient occlusion

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 06:50:10 PDT 2008

I think you're on a better path with shadowing. Getting shadowing
right is better than trying to fake it with 'ambient occlusion'
hacks. They lead to unnatural shadows in corners that just scream
"computer generated" to me. That pile of box is showing a bunch of
examples of that. If you count two blocks across from the bottom,
there's three blocks on the ground leading away from the camera with
a fourth block on top of the third block. The lower left corner of
the front face of that block is visibly darker than the rest of the
block. In real life that face would be almost uniformly illuminated.