Interoperability; was: [sldev] Call for requirements: ISO MPEG-V ...

Matthew Underwood sakkaku at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 11:48:27 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Mike Monkowski <monkowsk at watson.ibm.com> wrote:
> Bj Raz wrote:
>>
>> What I see here is the possibility for inter continuity between objects
>> within other virtual worlds, like WoW and characters to come and interact
>> with in SL.  Now you are breaching 3D worlds and making them one world. each
>> world can go to SL.  That is what I see.  Avatar transport between 3D
>> worlds.  Data encapsulation, from one platform (virtual world) to another.
>>  WoW -> SL
>
> I strongly disagree.  I see no reason to transfer objects and avatars
> between different worlds.  I can see reason to transfer them between
> different shards of the same base world, but between different worlds, all
> you need to transfer is identity.
>
> It's reasonable to expect to be able to chat with someone in a different
> world or to transport to another world, but what is the point of
> transferring 3D objects?  If you want your avatar to look the same in WoW
> and SL, you can modify them using each world's editor, but you don't have to
> use the same mesh and morphs.
>
> To use an analogy, I can play Quicktime movies and Flash animations in the
> same browser, and I wouldn't be surprised to find a converter that can
> translate Flash into Quicktime, but I wouldn't expect to be able to play the
> Quicktime movie in a Flash viewer.
>
> Mike

Why not?  Today you can play literally hundreds of video formats in
the same player whereas several years ago you would be literally
forced to have different players for different codecs.  Having the
ability to represent other worlds via a set standard would allow many
unique opportunities.

Imagine being able to watch tournaments within different games, being
able to chat with friends in different worlds, etc.  While it may not
be feasible now, if you push you could likely end up with one or two
companies participating.