[sldev] "Unreferenced" assets

darien_caldwell at comcast.net darien_caldwell at comcast.net
Tue May 20 09:08:10 PDT 2008

From: Kelly Linden <kelly at lindenlab.com>
> * An object in world is not "saved" as an asset until it is taken into inventory.  Objects currently in world exist only in the sim's memory and the regular simstate saves.

That brings up a common myth I have heard. Some believe putting inventory in boxes, and then keeping those boxes rezzed in world somehow makes those items 'safe' from inventory loss.  But in fact the items inside the boxes still reside in the asset server, correct?  They are simple references, and not actually within the sim itself, only the box is.