[sldev] Call for requirements: ISO MPEG-V (mpeg for virtual worlds) Deadline: July 16, 2008

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sun May 25 21:33:33 PDT 2008

On 2008-05-25, at 23:01, Lawson English wrote:
> Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>>> At the least, you need a reasonably good way to send data back to
>>> the server. I think I was wrong: there's no real 2-way pipe in
>>> MPEG-4 streaming. There's bound to be "resend lost data" signals,
>>> but we need something to send, at the least, keypresses for
>>> avatar movement, and preferably ways of uploading data for baked
>>> textures, locally built items, etc.
>>

>> In other words, just run Second Life.
>

> Right. SL or a more useable library (a C++/C# version of pyogp)
> sitting on the client side with the ability to handle graphcis.

"the ability to handle graphics" is pretty much everything important
in the SL viewer. The wire protocol part, which is what these
libraries are implementing, is the easy bit.

>> What I was talking about was having a stripped down version of the
>> viewer that takes care of the presence and "avatar is still alive"
>> stuff, and then repackages what comes in from the sim in the new
>> streaming format, with feedback coming in through a separate
>> control channel if you're not just replaying an existing sequence
>> of events. Moving around in this world would mostly be changing
>> the viewpoint of the camera, and sending controls back via HTTP to
>> update the games-eye-view of the camera position when needed.

> Well, that's what the smartphone implmentations are doing already.
> I think its more bandwidth intensive that SL itself. Certainly, the
> 1fps shown on youtube implies that it is.

No, those are absolutely not what I was talking about. I'm not
talking about doing the rendering there, I'm talking about taking the
messy SL-specific object/texture/whatever protocol and converting it
to a stream of whatever this future VRML++ uses... still at the same
level. That's what the original proposal was talking about.

The problem is that we're still exploring what that protocol should
look like.