[sldev] Call for requirements: ISO MPEG-V (mpeg for virtual worlds) Deadline: July 16, 2008

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sun May 25 22:06:35 PDT 2008

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> [...]
> No, those are absolutely not what I was talking about. I'm not talking
> about doing the rendering there, I'm talking about taking the messy
> SL-specific object/texture/whatever protocol and converting it to a
> stream of whatever this future VRML++ uses... still at the same level.
> That's what the original proposal was talking about.
>
> The problem is that we're still exploring what that protocol should
> look like.

OK, my dense brain finally gets it. I personally think that for objects,
the primitives method is a better fit for a generic MPEG-5 system than a
generic mesh method, at least until bandwidth goes way up. Of course,
perhaps by the time such a thing will take off, the network bandwidth
will be high enough that it doesn't matter. Although, as wasteful as SL
is right now, bandwidth-wise, you could probably replace everything with
meshes and get the same throughput if you made texture caching a bit
more intelligent.

Lawson