[sldev] branches/shadow-draft missing llrender.cpp

Dave Parks davep at lindenlab.com
Tue May 27 05:24:26 PDT 2008

A number of people have been e-mailing me directly complaining that this
doesn't work with their GeForce 7 GPU.  GeForce 7 was introduced in June
2005, which means it would be starting preschool in the fall.  It's old
enough to talk in complete sentences, it's beyond obsolete.  Frankly,
drawing the line at GeForce 8 (not even current gen any more) for a
still-in-development high end feature is generous.  That would be like
Crytek saying they're not going to add any features to Crysis that are
DirectX 10.0 only (probably a bad example what with the whole Vista
thing, but you see my point).  I'm not going to apologize for it, and
I'm not going to pander to people who think a 3 year old architecture
should receive as much support and attention as current offerings.

The way I see it, if you don't care enough about graphics to keep and
maintain an up to date system, you shouldn't expect to experience
significant graphics improvements.  If I invest resources to supporting
an old chip that's being phased out, I get a much lower return on that
investment than if I would have put those resources into a chip that's
becoming mainstream.  The number of installed GeForce 7's in the world
is decreasing while the number of GeForce 8's is increasing, and I don't
expect GeForce 7's to make a comeback.

Now, before the over reaction machine spins up and I get an e-mail about
an open letter from the cheapskates of the world, this doesn't mean
Second Life is going to be GeForce 8 only, just that you'll need that
kind of card if you want the absolute best experience.  Second Life will
still run on that POS laptop your boss let you take out of the recycling
bin at work.