[sldev] Some "benchmark/profiling" with new computer stuff.

Alto Xeno alto at altoxeno.com
Wed Nov 19 22:11:12 PST 2008

Do you have multiple threads on in the browser? (Ctrl-Alt-D to turn on
Advanced SL options, then under Rendering select Run Multiple Threads). That
causes my quad core to run two cores.

On graphics card memory: I have the 8600 with 256 MB vram in a laptop and no
question texture resolution is an issue. On my main machine I have a 9800
GTX+ with 512 MB vram. System memory is 4GB of DDR2-1000 RAM. CPU is a
mildly overclocked (at around 3.00 GHz) Intel Core2 Quad cpu with 8MB of L2
cache and a 1066 MHz FSB. Textures are handled way better on the GTX+ and I
think that is mostly the result of the added RAM -- IMO 256 MB vram is not
enough for SL, 512 MB is a lot better, and 768 of more would be optimum.

You may also want to tweak the settings for the nVidia card. I have an article
here<http://www.altoxeno.com/second-life/tips-and-tricks/125-improving-render-speeds>on
how the settings I use for "best" performance as well as some FPS
results
on the faster card.

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 9:23 PM, Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 01:51:35AM +0100, Laurent Laborde wrote:
> > Secondlife use 50% of my quadcore when loading all the texture. nice
> > work on the multithreadning :)
> [...]
> > around 10~20 FPS with very high (custom) quality @ 1600x1050.
> > Considering the sim, it's great !!
> [...]
> > The other bottleneck is that it use 2 core out of 4. But, imho, it's
> > not a big problem.
>
> You're lucky... it uses only one core on of my QX6700 with 4 cores
> (bad work on the multithreadning).
>
> Also, I have to play on "low graphics", if I put it on very high,
> it's dead... totally unplayable.
>
> I have a 8600 GTS with 256 MB... you think that would explain
> the difference in possible graphics resolution? If that is the
> case I'll run to the store tomorrow for a new graphics card.
>
> I'm using 64bit version of linux and client.
>
> --
> Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>

SL, AW,Openlife: Alto Xeno
HiPiHi: Alto_Xeno