[sldev] Infastructure vis a vis sim infastructure particularly open space sims

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 23:11:07 PDT 2008

meh... I never liked openspace sims anyway.
Some brainstormed straw dog ideas, not all pertaining to the open space
issue, to be taken with a grain of salt:

1. Develop a means of constraining expensive (currently) unaccountable
resources, such as:
1a. quantity and resolution of textures
1b. total number of prims per avatar
1c. total number of textures per avatar
1d. maximum script cycles per second per avatar
1e. maximum number of script cycles per square meter of land per land owner
1f. etc.
2. Develop a means of constraining resource usage per open space region so
as to not use more that 1/4 of the cpu resources
3. Develop a means where a viewer user can restrict the level of "rendering
cost" available to any displayed avatar, i.e., high rendering cost
attachments are not displayed, or attachments requiring excessive texture
downloading are displayed with a single texture.
4. Allow content creators a means of developing multiple Levels Of Detail
(LOD) in content, so if an offending object has an excessive resource cost
it can be displayed in a controlled, compromised way, i.e., a few low
resolution textures instead of many high resolution ones.
5. Develop an accounting method that can notify an open space region owner
that content/use is excessive.
6. Develop a means where open space region owners can increase resource
availability by paying an increase in tier.
7. Develop a means where resource usage credits can be traded between open
space regions.
7a. Develop a transaction fee for credit trading. Use this to fund
infrastructure improvements.
8. Vote for my suggestions for other regional accounting enhancements here:
http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-2648