[sldev] Question: Replacing current group chat with XMPP?

David M Chess chess at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 8 07:36:37 PDT 2008

> From: "Teravus Ovares" <teravus at gmail.com>

> A long long time ago, I created the following diagram of how XMPP could
work..
> http://opensimulator.org/images/1/1c/Proposed_IM_Flow.jpg
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Proposed_IM_Flow

Good stuff!  I have linked to that from the See Also on the Wiki page
(that number again:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Dale_Innis/Group_IM_in_OGP

). Does the diagram cover group IM as well as person-to-person?  I didn't
notice it, but I don't know the XMPP concepts as well as I should.

> To sum it up..    an XMPP server with each region serving as an XMPP
over
> BOSH gateway..   with a few tricks to support the legacy protocol and 3D
> space management using the 'resource'.

Would it be hard to draw the picture using the agent domain instead of the
region domain?  That's what we're currently assuming, I think, in the AWG:
get the burden off of the RD server.

> There are little nuances that make direct transition to XMPP more
> challenging then just switching.

Glad to hear you say this!  :)  I've been trying to explain this to people
who say "it's simple!  just switch to [favorite existing IM system here]
and you're done!".

> Best Regards
> Teravus

Tx,