[sldev] http-texture project - how far until complete? (this will totally Rawk SL!)

Philippe Bossut (Merov Linden) merov at lindenlab.com
Thu Apr 30 11:58:22 PDT 2009

Hi,

To answer the concerns expressed on this thread: yes, we take all
those issues very very seriously (IP snooping, hot linking, griefing,
phishing, etc...) and, as I said, that's why we won't push "URL on a
prim" without careful examination of all the threats it presents and
the possible mitigations. The good news is that web browsers have been
down that road already and the threats and mitigating methods are
known. The bad news is that web browsers don't have perfect solutions
(it's a constant arm race with the griefers) *and* SL introduces new
challenges of its own as you could get exposed to bad content just by
walking by. Let's keep in mind though that, despite the issues, this
technical possibility is very much desired by residents in some
markets like education (exhibit A: Fire's email).

On Apr 30, 2009, at 11:15 AM, Stickman wrote:
> I suppose the first step is to brainstorm a list of safety and privacy
> concerns, and then brainstorm how to solve them. Have we played that
> game yet? Is this the place for it?

There has been a couple of internal brainstorm meetings on "how to
open without compromising security" internally. This is such a *huge*
issue though and I'm wondering what's the best way to start the
discussion without overwhelming the list. I'm thinking that a
collaborative wiki page would be a better channel so that we could
keep track of each potential threat/mitigation. What do you guys think?

Cheers,
- Merov