[sldev] I finished VWR-14914 patch; any testers?

Melinda Green melinda at superliminal.com
Thu Aug 6 12:02:09 PDT 2009

If the intent is not to commit it, then anything goes of course. I
definitely like the idea of improving the beacons functionality though
and if people come up with useful improvements I'd love to see the
attempt made to fold them in. The first step is VWR-9138 which is
intended to bring clarity to the UI but using the current 3D graphics.
The second step should be to improve the 3D graphics. I believe it was
Dave P who suggested that the GL line graphics should be replaced with
polygonal treatments, and then there's no end to the fun we can have to
distinguish the different beacon types and their various sub-features.
At that point the "beacon width" feature should probably become "beacon
size" or something which simply makes all beacons more or less prominent.

It also occurs to me that we can't change the color for the sound
beacons because color is used to indicate beacon type, but again, line
style and saturation are still available.
-Melinda