[sldev] [ogpx] Snowglobe on OpenSim grids

Joshua Bell josh at lindenlab.com
Sun Dec 13 10:53:48 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Dzonatas Sol <dzonatas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wouldn't it be better if the map was a LLMediaPlugin. That way each map
> window can be customized to a grid. That would also mean each grid would
> load it's own viewer plugin.

I would take this one step further:

The map is a service provided by a grid, or region-domain in VWRAP parlance.
It should have no dependency on the agent domain. It serves to consume and
produce location identifiers into the grid which - should be URLs, e.g.
"given a friend's SLurl, show it on the map", "generate a SLurl for a
location so I can initiate a teleport to it".

I would posit that this could be implemented entirely as a web page hosted
via a generic web context provider in a viewer - no need for a specific
plugin. The region domain would provide a standardized cap which is actually
a web page a la slurl.com, which generates URLs the viewer can act on (e.g.
to initiate teleport).

If there does need to be agent domain/region domain interaction (E.g.
"highlight my friends on the map") then there would need to be some
VWRAP-ish negotiation, e.g. the agent domain(s) of your friends provide caps
that you can pass on to the region domain map service.