[sldev] Script/Parcel/Memory Limits - Memory Limit Configuration

Dzonatas Sol dzonatas at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 05:44:10 PST 2009

Carlo Wood wrote:
> On a private estate (sorry, but I really can't care less what
> happens on mainland), you pay for the server. A full sim costs
> $295 per month. Imho, what you pay for is the server, not the land.

Maybe people don't want land but they want an avatar with their
attachments, and thus they want to pay premium in order to make sure
their avatar works everywhere despite what the land owner wants.

> Obviously, it should be possible to USE all resources of that
> server the way you want. If something is CHANGED that makes that
> impossible then Linden Lab breaks a contract, and they deserve
> the largest riot thinkable.

If someone is not interested in land ownership, why should land limits
affect the avatar? Of course, we know the basic reason why, yet there
are scripts/attachments that don't need to be governed by land limits at
all. I know you express the desire to be able to use all the resource of
the server. An avatar may want to be able to "roam" at the premium rate.

In order to achieve the roam-ability, there will be a need to separate
land/sim based scripts from avatar only based scripts.

Let's say an avatar has prim hair that consists of 50 objects. There has
been a script in each object so that color change is possible. Now, with
llEndScript(), a script doesn't need to stay in each object after the
color change. In fact, if color change is the only thing the script
does, it doesn't even need to execute on the same sim the avatar is on.
The script(s) could execute on machine XXX and then update the region
the avatar is in, which might be needed in order to route packets to the
clients that color change was done. The route through the region could
be avoided, but I assumed the worst. There would be no need to stop
these scripts just because parcel YYY is has no resources allocated to
it or sim ZZZ's owner wants to allocate resources in a way that would
not be friendly to premium roamers.

This is why I suggested a way to flag scripts as phantom. Such scripts
would never have to be executed on the sim, and when they try to use a
function that actually requires them to be in the sim, then they either
halt, transfer/swap their state to the sim for execution, or fail. In
the case of a sim owner that has paid premium to allocate all resources,
the scripts would not transfer/swap execution state to that sim at all
and either would halt and/or fail.

This is just the very basic concept of such differences in execution
areas. I just wanted to make sure that is clear and not digress further.