[sldev] Script/Parcel/Memory Limits - Memory Limit Configuration

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Tue Dec 22 05:54:57 PST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 05:44:10AM -0800, Dzonatas Sol wrote:
> Maybe people don't want land but they want an avatar with their
> attachments, and thus they want to pay premium in order to make sure
> their avatar works everywhere despite what the land owner wants.
>
> >Obviously, it should be possible to USE all resources of that
> >server the way you want. If something is CHANGED that makes that
> >impossible then Linden Lab breaks a contract, and they deserve
> >the largest riot thinkable.
>
> If someone is not interested in land ownership, why should land
> limits affect the avatar? Of course, we know the basic reason why,
> yet there are scripts/attachments that don't need to be governed by
> land limits at all. I know you express the desire to be able to use
> all the resource of the server. An avatar may want to be able to
> "roam" at the premium rate.

Bottom line is: a sim owner should have FULL control of the
sim resources, and before that full control has been added,
the limits may not be activated.

In practise I could imagine that unrelated premium avatars
can enter any sim that they are allowed to enter and have
a given "reserved" amount of memory for their attachments.
But I want it to be possible to use that "reserved" amount
for objects when that avatar is not there.

If the sim owner (read: EM, manager should have the same
rights as owners, or almost) then wants to use all memory
for some experiment that he doesn't want to be interrupted,
he could always just close the sim so that nobody can enter
anymore (or only those friends that he knows don't use
excessive memory).

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>