[sldev] Linkable prim over 256

Suzy Deffeyes suzyq at pobox.com
Tue Dec 22 15:12:56 PST 2009

My hazy memory seems to recall that it was somewhat protocol limited, I
think the field in the packet that is the object count was an 8 bit value,
which means the protocol limited you to 256, not the client or server code.
I might be off on this, it was a while ago that i looked into it.

I made a small change in the hippo viewer that will allow the end user to
select a random number of objects to link, and they get linked into groups
of 255 and squirted across in the protocol. So the way to use that to link
more than 256 is to select a group of objects, and then do the link step
*twice*. It's not pretty, but allows builders to link groups of objects
without having to sit there and fuss with counting objects.  It seemed to
work on both OpenSim and the main SL grid.

Suzy/Pixel