[sldev] UI streamlining strategy

Moriz Gupte moriz.gupte at gmail.com
Tue May 5 15:55:09 PDT 2009

Hey there, I am starting a new thread as a response to your suggestion. This
idea resonates with a lot of us but for some reason did not follow through
whenever it was raised (the one time I remember was a post on SLViews last
year).
I think shortcuts to rapid decisions e.g. votes work but it comes with some
campaigning distractions..
There are well developed click path analyses, click through evaluations out
there...and we could get inspired from them. I think gaze based evals
(fixation/dwell analyses) have their place too and is to expected in a
bleeding edge metaverse platform company.
Extracting Usability Information from User Interface
Events<http://www.fxpal.com/publications/FXPAL-PR-00-162.pdf>Eventseer.net
- Understanding the user - logging and interpreting user interactions in
information search and retrieval <http://eventseer.net/e/10343/>DATA
LOGGING: HIGHER-LEVEL CAPTURING AND MULTI-LEVEL ABSTRACTING OF USER
ACTIVITIES <http://linc.cs.vt.edu/papers/2000/HeNeIsCa-Logging-HFES/>
I think with Melinda's approach which she mentioned could be done fairly
quickly would be a fantastic start. We could look into patterns of clicks,
eliminate UI interactions, coalesce functions and so on.
I imagine this approach should already be taking at LL so this info may be
redundant.

Ramesh

I think Melinda Green has a great idea to collect usage data on the user
interface, it would give a lot of information on how it is being used. I
would expand it a bit and save all interactions (with the UI) sequential.
That way we can also learn which actions are taken after each other, if it
turn out button A and Z are always pressed after one another we could create
button AZ and simplify. We might want to start a new chain to discuss this.

Jeroen Frans

--
Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD Research Assistant Professor Idaho State
University, PocatelloTel: 208-282-5333