[sldev] Improving SL First Hour Experience through WYSIWIS

Melinda Green melinda at superliminal.com
Fri May 8 01:50:22 PDT 2009

Wow, that was a while ago!

I've not seen or heard of this HUD and while it sounds like it has
merit, it also sounds somewhat invasive. I have a personal, almost
physical relationship with my camera and I doubt I would like that. I
expect that I would not like losing the ability to cam around, adjust my
view, and check out people's profiles, etc. I expect that being driven
by it would feel as if someone else was grabbing my head and moving it
around. I think that I would much prefer other sorts of pointing devices.

Even if this mode is useful I doubt that it'd be popular enough to
permanently add to the viewer. HUDs are perfect for this sort of niche
functionality so I would much rather see effort made to figure out what
is causing those lag and choppiness issues you're reporting.

I also don't see how this would help newbies to find their inventory,
etc. since this certainly would not let one person see the other
person's UI, right?

-Melinda