[sldev] Concept of "loaded avatar" was changed?

Aimee Trescothick aimee.trescothick at gmail.com
Tue May 12 06:28:34 PDT 2009

On 12 May 2009, at 13:38, Tateru Nino wrote:
> You'd think so, wouldn't you? You should both have each-other's
> textures already cached at the very least. Unless the texture IDs
> change in a sim-crossing.... and they shouldn't do that, right? If
> those IDs aren't changing, then it looks like there's a false
> discard going on.

As far as I know, baked textures are only held as temporary textures
on the sim, so they won't be available in the new region after a
teleport until the client uploads them on arrival.

However, if your client has baked textures cached for another avatar
from the previous region ideally it should continue using those until
it is able to obtain fresh ones from the new region, rather than
clouding the avatar. That would give a more seamless experience than
what appears to happen now.

The only minor "issue" I can see with that at first inspection, is if
the other person changes clothes before following you, in which case
their  appearance to you would be out of date until their new baked
textures are available.

Aimee.