[sldev] [LINUX, PLUGINS] Snowglobe - high load due to Media Plugins

Opensource Obscure open at autistici.org
Thu Nov 12 03:11:34 PST 2009

Hello everybody,
I'm sorry I couldn't do more testing recently;
I'm on Linux Ubuntu 9.04, where I usually get good
performances with the stable official viewer.

I tried yesterday Snoglobe RC-2 and after some time
client performances were seriously degraded (<10FPS),
apparently because of media plugins taking lots of CPU.

I already saw the same thing a few weeks ago, using
the first releases using Media Plugins. I'm not
sure I'm seeing an improvement with regard to this,
on my system at least.

I have 4 or 5 plugins processes taking 10-15%
CPU each one: system load goes until 5-6-7,
while it's usually at 1.
The very bad detail about this is that that
media were disabled at all.

I apologize again I didn't more testing, I should
have raised this before. It appears to be a
critical issue, at least in my case. I guess
I couldn't use Snowglobe on a daily basis anymore
until this problem won't be solved.

my hardware system specs (these data are from
some time ago, but they should be the same):
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz
Memory: 3292 MB
OS Version: Linux 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Thu Jan 29 19:24:39 UTC 2009
i686
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 9600 GT/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.12

bye
opensource obscure

visit, copy & reuse my LSL HTTP-IN interactive installation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdjwFHCITbE
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Opensource_Obscure/Chromutate